So this probably isn't the best idea to override the system setting (it probably has a use right?), however i dont like notepad and i like something better like notepad2. So here is how you override the annoying as hell TrustedInstaller permissions that stop you from doing fun things to windows core files:
- Open a command prompt with admin privilage
- Take ownership of notepad.exe: takeown /F c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe
- Change the security settings so you have full access to notepad.exe: cacls c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe /G <username>:F
Things to note:
- If you get a virus, its now quite easy for it to over write notepad.exe to a virus (but i'm guessing it could use the above process anyway)
- As per usual, backup the original, just incase the proverbial hits the fan
Thank is all.